I had thought to write of this tomorrow but sleep again eludes me. The new medicine seems not to work.
I spent the evening at John's house. He is Cherry's brother. I wanted to watch the children and see their costumes. They do not come so far out as my house. I had no costume so I dressed in Cheongsam and pinned my hair.
It was such a joy to see all the small children as they sought their treats. Some shouting "Trick or Treat!" while others were too bashful to speak. The former were cute and entertaining. The latter drew out great affection from me. Their silence spoke of their fear. I was sure to smile and praise them very much.
The most adorable child was a small girl dressed as a pumpkin. Her costume was stuffed full so she could not walk fast as the other children. Her eyes and nose were surrounded by black triangles. Her mouth by a toothy smile. As I opened the door, she smiled the most beautiful smile. She did not say "Trick or Treat!" but instead said "See?" as she showed me her bag of candy and treats. It was not as full as other childrens but she beamed with such joy. I made sure to give her just a small amount more. Very politely she thanked me and turned to leave. Her father helped her down the steps. As she stepped to the sidewalk she turned with a large smile and waved her hand.
If I were to have seen nothing else tonight, this small child made the evening worthwhile. It is these things that make me happy. I am better for the small girl's visit. She did not see her bag as being mostly empty. She saw only that there was more than when she began. She was a great teacher.
Ah, Mei Lian, I hope you will find a way to sleep. Is there too much on your mind?
ReplyDeleteThis is a nice story. It's interesting to see the types of personalities that draw the most affection from us, even in children. I think, like you, I'd have been drawn to the bashful child.
What a wonderful example for us all! To see our lives with those eyes.
ReplyDeleteJean
what's with young people can't sleep these days? is there so much stress in your life? a friend of mine started to have insominia when she was 17!
ReplyDeletei've learned to love Halloween over the years. it's now my favorite time of the year, esp. down here in New Orleans, it's a big deal. love it!