When first I heard the name, I thought I was the object of a joke. I was incorrect. There is a place called Walla Walla. It is in the state of Washington.
Cherry asked if I would like to accompany her to witness the ordination of her cousin to be a minister. As it was a new place to me and I had no wish to have Cherry drive so far alone, I agreed.
I have never witnessed an ordination of a minister. In the beginning it seemed much as any other religious service I have seen. There was singing and prayers. A group of men soon left the room. Cherry says it is called a presbitry. I was informed these men were also ministers and it was their place to give examinations to ther cousin.
At the beginning only one man asked questions. The first question I thought was rather silly. He was asked of his belief of having only one wife. Seeing that he has only one wife and it is illegal to have more than the one the answer seemed obvious. I will admit I was confused by the cousin's reply. He spoke of covenants and adultry, words I only discovered the meaning of after the service was ended. I would simply have replied I believe only in one wife. It seems to me, to be a minister requires use of more words than are necessary.
Many other questions were asked which were sensible. It is only proper that one know the belief of another that intends to be a minister of the same sect before approving him to perform rites and rituals. Mostly I heard words I did not know or were used in such a manner as I am unaccustomed to. I must assume he answered well as they did ordain him.
They served much food after. There were many different and surprising foods served. One I found was particularly delicious. It resembled the filling of dumplings but had a different flavor. I inquired as to what it was but was unable to discover it.
I then explored a fort and its museum nearby. Visiting the wineries was enjoyable. There were many so visiting all was impossible. Perhaps I may visit Walla Walla again to see the other vinyards. Perhaps I will review those I have visited after I rest.
The drive is long but it is discovery of new things and new places that keep life interesting.
i've heard of Walla Walla Washington before. so it does exist! that's good to know :D
ReplyDeleteMei Lian, the "one wife" means he has not been divorced and remarried. In most christian churches, they believe you should have enough love and wisdom to make your family happy, so you will not be divorced..if you do not, you should not be a minister, you should be at home with your family fixing problems, not divorcing. That is why he spoke on the "covenant" of marriage, and not committing adultry. And, yes, many ministers do use many more words than are necessary! I enjoyed hearing your opinion on this service. I think we can frequently learn much by hearing what others understand from our words.. often we assume it is clear, when it really is not.
ReplyDeleteJean
Walla Walla is supposedly one of the best regions for wine in Washington. (And for onions.) The friends that I go on wine trips with went two years ago and speak highly of the wines; I have yet to go myself, though. For the last release, I've heard that many of the wineries got the grapes from vineyards outside of Walla Walla because the weather didn't cooperate. I look forward to reading your reviews.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you had an interesting trip!
Aafrica... We are both smarter now knowing of Walla Walla. :D
ReplyDeletejeankfl... Thank you for your explanation. It is clearer to me what occured though I do not pretend to understand perfectly. Fortunately I am not timid to ask questions. How am I to know if I do not ask?
Loofa... I would recommend Yellow Hawk Cellars for you to visit. They have a Rosato that is fruity but it is not heavy or sweet. I brought home 2 bottles to enjoy.