My father's visit has moved me to begin preparing. I have much to do. I have none of the Four Men of Honor. I have no decorations of Feicui.
Father is traditional. He grieves for the traditional values that are discarded each day. For this reason I must open my chest of Qipao and press them. I must also practice my hair. It has been too long since I have worn them. I must remind myself of each.
For some who do not know of Qipao they are a traditional dress of China. They are meant to display a woman's grace and beauty. When wearing them all must be precise. The hair must be so, certain jewelry may only be worn with each dress, shoes must match perfectly. My father will note any mistakes. I do not wish him to believe I have forgotten to be Chinese. Also, what will Jiao think of me if I am unable to dress properly? I will also wear American clothing I have become accustomed to but I must show I am able to dress Chinese as well.
This is what it is to be a Chinese woman in America. I have become accustomed to American ways of eating, speaking, dressing, etc. But I must not forget those things that make me Chinese. It is not such an easy thing. In America, wearing Qipao seems reserved for only special times or when instructing others of Chinese custom. They are commonly seen in China.
Father's visit reminds me what I am forgetting. I must remind myself quickly.
take picutres when you wear Qipao, i'm sure you are one of those classical chinese beauties.
ReplyDeleteThe four men of honor? I can help there; one of me is just as good as four. ;-) Really, though, I'm curious what these traditions and decorations are.
ReplyDeleteYou seem to be very excited for the visit.
Aafrica... I will have pictures taken to show my Qipao. The wrinkles of storage are proving difficult to remove but I will succeed.
ReplyDeleteloofa... Forgive me not being clear. I wrote forgetting others will see.
The Four Men of Honor are decorative plants traditional to Chinese homes. They are considered examples of luck, beauty, strength, and grace that all people should strive to emulate. They are plum blossoms, orchids, bamboos and chrysanthemums. I have none. I must find something soon.
You should wear it for coastie.... for educational purposes. I think he will enjoy Qipao 101.
ReplyDeletedid you wear qipao frequently in china also? It seems that no one wears it anymore these days, which is a shame.
~intensely
Intensely... In my city, Xi'an, Qipao was common. I wore it often. Father insisted we wear it correctly. As I have said, he is very traditional and mourns the loss of it.
ReplyDelete