Pages

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Tragedy

Today there was a delivery at my house. I now have a new bed for Jiao. This is good for her as she won't sleep on the floor.

Upon my arrival at my home I discovered I now have no violin. A delivery person, without purpose, hit it from it's stand on the table nearby then stepped upon it. The body is now crushed and unrepairable.

For some, this seems hardly a loss. For me it is a great loss as this violin was a gift from my first teacher when I was 8 years. It has been a part of me. I soothed myself when excited. It was a help for my concentration. The music removed me from all distraction. I need not look to it. I every part of it was in my memory. I could know it from others only by touch. Perhaps there is something you have held as close and understand this thinking.

The store apologizes very much and ensures Mother Bing they will replace it. I am happy for that. Tomorrow I must visit them and discover their means of replacing my violin.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed hearing your music on the old site, and I can imagine how badly you feel about this. There are some things that are irreplaceable because they've become a part of us over the years. A new one is not much of a consolation. But, I hope you will still become fond of using it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Mei Lian, how awful! I'm so sorry you have lost this part of you. There is no way it can truly be replaced, but I hope they make a decent attempt. How horrible that person must be to have done such a thing. I hope you can take a new one into your heart as well, though it will never be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm very very sorry to hear about your violin. some things are not replacable regardless of the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! How terrible! :( I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete