Pages

Monday, February 26, 2024

Beginning to Get Ready

As I begin to prepare my things to be shipped, I discover I have things that I forgot about or just do not think about. For instance, I found my wedding crown and jewelry in a box hidden in the back of the closet.

 This set is older than I am. It has been passed down through 4 generations. My mother gave it to me for my wedding. I will pass it to my eldest daughter when she marries. Until then, it is kept in its box and the box is carefully wrapped.

I also found other small things that require justification to pack them. Going through these things is like choosing which piece of children’s art to keep; you want it all but cannot keep it all. This is the hardest part of PCSing for me. I acquired it for a reason. It does not matter how much I like it, only is it necessary and can it be replaced at my next home? These choices can seem harder than they appear.

Admittedly, it is easier to do when one’s mood is bright and cheery to start. I will say I may start that way but as the sorting goes on, my mood dims a little. I believe that is why so many things I acquired for my house are not expensive or of any value. Why should they be? I am only going to leave them behind. I think I will delay acquiring “nice” things until we finally settle to our final home after retirement.

My mood continues to be bright. Perhaps it is hormones, or it could be because I have my entire family with me. Every day, at least for the next five months. That is enough to give me joy. I will spend these next few months saving up family time to hold me when Jared is gone again. I will touch him as often as possible to fill those times when he will be gone, and I do not forget what he feels like.

Jared may be happy to return to sea by the time we get to Spain. We have not taken breaks from going and doing. Every weekend from now till we leave is filled with an activity. Of course, we are a Navy family, so we anticipate changes. It is better to be prepared for change rather than be rudely surprised by it. We have planned several weekend trips. Sadly, I believe the children will see more of Japan in our last 5 months than they have for the preceding 3 ½ years.

Oh, there it is. The heartburn has begun. At least it is not bad so far.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful crown! Something to always treasure, for sure. I hope the rest of the packing process goes smoothly, and that you continue to enjoy your family time together.

    ReplyDelete