Pages

Saturday, February 24, 2024

First Baby Post

 

I thought it was time to begin writing pregnancy posts.

 It is week six and Little one is the size of a blueberry.

Mother followed an old Chinese superstition and did a forecast of Little One’s gender. I have said before, for me, gender is unimportant. I only pray for a healthy baby. I cannot say I would be disappointed if the forecast was accurate though. According to Mother’s results, I am to have a girl. I believe I will await the doctor’s opinion of it. The thought of another sister does not make Chao lei happy. He wants a brother to play with. Jun is thrilled about the idea of another baby in the house regardless of gender. Jared says, “Whatever as long as it is healthy.” He attempted to use that phrase before Chao lei but I could see his real desire for a son. This time, I believe he is sincere, or he has gotten better at hiding his real feelings.

Unlike Chao lei and Jun by this time, this baby has not decided that there are things I cannot eat yet. Chao lei was insistent of no dumplings, chocolate, or spices of any kind. I was fortunate to eat salt without him pitching fits. Jun hated ramen and eggs and would barely tolerate Longjing tea. Longjing tea was the only tea I could drink any of. Bonus question: How many tea shops outside of China serve Longjing tea? None that I could find. Stores that sell it? Same. Mother had to mail me tea. Coffee? I got nauseous only thinking of it.

There is no heartburn… yet. I am expecting it to begin at any moment. It would be wonderful to avoid this pregnancy, but I am not confident that will happen so I must return to left side sleeping for the reflux. That puts me back-to-back with Jared at night unless he is willing to sleep on his left side. His track record so far is he may begin that way but by morning I wake with maybe a foot touching him. Or… I could make him swap sides of the bed with me. I like that plan better.

So far, the only real effect has been my bladder has shrunk to thimble size. I would become afraid if that were all to happen. A too perfect pregnancy is as bad as an overly eventful one since I would always be worried of something suddenly going wrong. I prefer a normal one where there is heartburn and foods you cannot eat.

Next appointment is March 21. Then we will have our first ultrasound.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you! I mean, not so much the pregnancy, as I can well remember the physical challenges of those, but the anticipation and the BABY at the end! Yay!

    ReplyDelete