Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Tears...

I received a call from Dorothy this morning at 0430. She wished me to accompany her to comfort a wife. I thought it odd we would go to the hospital. I thought perhaps this wife had begun labor until I remembered I am the closest to delivery of all wives of the ship. I was not prepared for what greeted us.

As we entered the room I could not recognize what was on the exam table beyond the fact it was a female person. Her face was swollen so that I could not see her eyes. Her face was only a bleeding and bruised lump. There were teeth sitting in a cup of water next to her. When I could look from her face I saw her arms and legs were much the same. After a short time nurses came to take her to surgery. It seems also there are broken bones and injured organs.

Once she was gone I could not keep myself. I have not sobbed so since I was a child. In truth I have not ceased.

Who could do this to another they claim to love? I do not understand. They said husband was drunk. It remains confusing for me. I have been drunk and angry. I did not wish to beat Lt so. This thinking is lost to me. I do not understand.

I do not wish to feel such pain but I do not know how to stop it. I know I must stop it. It is only for me to discover how.

Who has seen this and can tell me how?

2 comments:

  1. Usually in situations like this there is a cycle of violence which builds up over time. I think it is important for people to decide that they will not tolerate other people abusing them, even in small ways. It really is not irrational to decide to leave relationships if the other person treats you badly.

    I feel sorry for the woman you visited. Hopefully she will heal and choose to find a different life partner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have such a tender, kind heart--it must have been a great shock to witness the horror of abuse. I'm with Laoch on this...this probably was not a one time moment of horrible abuse. There was probably many incidents leading up to it, each greater in strength as the abuser was unchecked in his treatment of her. I saw your later post first (which I am glad for now)...and see that the abuser is going to be prosecuted. Your friend will heal, but it is very important that she get counseling so she does not fall back in with another abuser. I'm so sorry for this. What a horrible thing to have happened :(

    ReplyDelete