I have met a new friend. She is from Yokota Air Base.
We have much in common. She plays violin. By her description she plays fiddle. I believe the difference of them is I play classical, she plays country. I admit, I have not listened to much of it despite Lt listening to it often. Listening to Cynthia play sounded interesting. It has a fun tempo. Perhaps I will learn more of fiddling and play it occasionally.
Cynthia is also not a natural citizen of the US. She is from Britain. It is fortunate she did not experience the same anxiety of traveling to Japan as I did.
Something I do not envy her, her husband travels as mine will but unlike Lt who is given notice of his travels, Cynthia must endure her husband leaving to work at 7am and returning home that day...... or not. She has experienced him not returning for several days, even weeks! The Air Force does not tell her where he is , when he will return, or his condition, though I do assume if his condition was not good they would inform her. The Navy will tell me when he will leave and I get a "window" of their trip. If something were to happen, Lt has a large amount of steel and weaponry surrounding him. It is unlikely, short of sinking, much harm would come to him.
We have exchanged telephone numbers. We will remain in contact and visit as often as we can. She has invited me to visit when Lt is under way.
I am told this is an unusual friendship to develop. It seems I am supposed to know only Navy wives. It is fortunate for me I do not care which service a husband serves or at what base they live. My friends are not limited by arbitrary limits.
No comments:
Post a Comment