Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2024

Week 10

Today was my first baby appointment after the “Yes, you are pregnant” one. I am so happy afterward. First, because Jared was able to attend with me. This is our third child and the first time he has accompanied me to an OB appointment. Second, we discovered a lot of information, all good.

According to the blood work, Mother was correct in her prediction of gender. It seems old Chinese superstitions may not be as inaccurate as I had assumed. Then again, a guess is 50/50. We will have another girl. Jared is excited about that, and I must admit I am pleased as well. Chao lei is not. Jun is excited.


 

She is healthy and developing as expected. We did the NIPT which is how they know gender. They also did what seemed like a thousand other tests. It seems being 42 makes me high risk… and my missing thyroid does not help either. That should not affect the pregnancy they said providing I stay on treatment plans and remind Endocrinology of the pregnancy.

Jared and I have been discussing names. He insists that because it is a girl, it is my place to name her. I insist that he is her father and has a say also. Accepting that, he made a suggestion that stunned me. He said we should name her in honor of Mother Bing. Mother Bing is not physically related to me. She welcomed me to her family when I first arrived in America and treated me as her daughter, even to introducing me to others as her daughter. I cannot think of a better namesake for our daughter.

We shall name her Su Zan (pronounced Soo Sahn) Rose. Her name means “respectful praise.” People will assume we have named her Susan Rose, which is Mother Bing’s name, when they pronounce it. They will also accept that she only spells Susan differently than others while ignoring the extra space in the middle. This name allows us to keep our naming habit of eastern and western and allows me to honor Mother Bing. I also realize it will involve her having to prove she does not misspell her name. I can see it… Su Zan vs. Susan, but she will know the reason behind her name. Or she will do as Mother Bing and be called Su.

Jared has already started his shopping spree for her. We came home from the NEx with four outfits for her. Here we go again. I believe he is more excited by a daughter than I am. Perhaps this time, he will restrain himself since he will be able to see her closet and drawers... Probably not. Jun had more clothes than she could wear and I often passed them on, never having removed the price tags. As it is, he must wait until we arrive in Rota before he can build the nursery so there will be nothing to distract him.

Do not misunderstand me. Jared is well pleased with his son. Jun, though, is his girl whom he will go overboard for. Chao lei he teaches to have a strong ethic and to stand up for himself. Jun he teaches to come to him. I know, it is an old-fashioned idea, but it is too beautiful to see their relationship grow so close. She is a “Daddy’s girl.” I wish for her to have the kind of relationship I had with my father. I will only believe Su Zan will enjoy the same relationship.

Chao lei was planned and desperately wanted. Jun Bao was a surprise but not an unwelcome one. Su Zan is a shock but again not unwelcome. The desperate wish of my youth of being a mother is being granted in full. I am blessed beyond measure.

3 comments:

  1. I love your method of naming your children, and I think Su Zhan is a lovely name. My sister-in-law is Swedish, and her daughters have the Swedish spelling for their names (Maja for Maya and Sonja for Sonia). They do have to correct people about it all the time, but it's a good way to remember their heritage.

    My daughter is also a daddy's girl and gets away with so much more than her brothers. Good thing I'm here to discipline her, otherwise it would never happen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the discipline for Jun also. Jared wilts if she cries and she knows that. lol

      Delete
  2. Another girl! So exciting! I wish you a good, healthy rest of your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete