One would tend to believe that at least as far as the US Navy goes, women would be thought of as being in equity with men. It seems there remain some who do not believe this.
I was at the auto shop this morning getting my car checked for a minor problem when it came time to fill out the work order the person at the desk, a man, suggested that I just give him the basic information, i.e. name and number, and have my husband let him know what the problem was.
Being treated as less than intelligent is nothing new for me. I am small, I am female and I am Asian. These things combined have caused me to be treated as an ignorant child many times. You get used to it. It can even be entertaining at times such as when I was buying my first pickup. It seemed to baffle the men that I, a small Chinese woman, would want such a large vehicle. This episode was no less entertaining.I filled out the work order and even used the technical terms for the issue at hand (but only because Jared used them first and there was no reason to tell the mechanic that) I did know what the issue was though. I would have explained it in non-mechanic language. It is funny to watch the efforts expended to talk to you as a child without being insulting.
I admit I am surprised it happened. There are so many ways things could happen to this person. The Navy frowns on such behavior and has an assortment of penalties for it. I would think that was enough motivation to avoid the behavior
I will reserve my complaining of it for a more deserving offense. It is not as if he was rude. And besides, he knows better of it now. You should have seen the look on his face when he read the "Customer Name" line. Dr Mei lian. I do not identify like that often but just this once, it was worth seeing his expression.
So sorry you have to deal with that! Good luck and best of wishes on your moving process.
ReplyDeleteEven if he didn't mean offense, it's still rude! I'm sorry you experienced that! I'm glad you put your title haha!
ReplyDelete