Pages

Saturday, January 20, 2024

Saturday Soup

Time for soup! Now that the holidays are over, we can get back to normal schedules so here is today's recipe.

It is supposed to feed eleven in a normal environment but I would be lying if I were to claim my house is normal. I had almost a full bowl left over the last time I made this one. It is 25 minutes to prep, 40 minutes to cook.

Minestrone Soup

 Ingredients

    2 large carrots, diced

    2 celery ribs, chopped

    1 medium onion, chopped

    1 tablespoon olive oil

    1 tablespoon butter

    2 garlic cloves, minced

    2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth

    2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce

    1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained

    1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained

    1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained

    1-1/2 cups shredded cabbage

    1 tablespoon dried basil

    1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes

    1 teaspoon dried oregano

    1/2 teaspoon pepper

    1 cup uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni

    11 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese

 

Directions

In a large saucepan, saute carrots, celery and onion in oil and butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.

Stir in broth, tomato sauce, kidney beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, cabbage, basil, parsley, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add macaroni; cook, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until macaroni and vegetables are tender.

Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with cheese.

A good wintertime soup.

1 comment:

  1. I love a good winter soup, and this sounds hearty and delicious! Count me in!

    ReplyDelete