Pages

Monday, March 27, 2023

The Shoe Has Dropped

Of course it was inevitable. It is the Navy and sailings are just a matter of time. We know when Jared sails next. The exact timing will be announced after the fact but at least he will be here for the entirety of spring break. This is not a deployment; just an underway... but then... this IS the Navy so who knows what changes could occur.

We have decided we will spend a few days in Fukuoka. A mini-vacation is better than no vacation. There is much to see there. We have a list of places we would like to visit and will try to fit them all in one trip but that is an unlikely occurrence. We will have to save what we do not accomplish for another trip. I hope to attend at least one sumo match at Kokusai Center. It is not the annual tournament but we have been told it is worthwhile to watch regular matches. If it is anything like Japanese baseball, it should be thrilling if only for the environment. I find baseball a bit boring. Jared took me to Seibu Stadium to watch the Lions play. The atmosphere was so electric, one could not help but participate with the crowd vigorously. I forgot I did not care for baseball.

There are also many shrines and temples to visit. Some are even close enough to walk to from one to the other, and not through city streets but forest, so there will be hikes of a sort to be enjoyed.

Mini-vacation? I will take it. After all, if the Navy has taught me nothing else, it is to roll with it and grab what you can, while you can. The Navy has given us this moment so we will take it.

On a different subject, I read another blog, Going Country, written by Kristin. In it she observed that her blog is in year fifteen this month. Now, when somone makes a post like that, I believe it is natural to check on your own statistics. I admit that now, I feel old. After looking at my own blog, I discovered that I have been blogging on Blogspot for sixteen years and five months. If you add in a previous blog host, I have been blogging for near twenty years. Now do you see why I feel old? lol

I began as a young twenty-something, freshly immigrated with the world before her. Now I am 40, married to a man that is closer to retirement than he is his commissioning, and mother of two children, beautiful though they may be. Now I look and ask, "Where did that young woman go?" The answer is she is still here in this aging body unwilling to behave as an old lady. She has lived a charmed life that she is grateful for. What would it be that would make her regret aging through life as she has done? Nothing.

1 comment:

  1. Well, if it makes you feel any better, your blog may be older than mine, but I'm actually older than you are. :-) Good luck on going back to a single-parent household for awhile, and enjoy your mini-vacation.

    ReplyDelete