Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

School has begun!

I am intimidated. I have not felt this way since my first meeting Lt's parents. Of course, it is enough for most people just to enter a doctorate program to become intimidated. Being pregnant only adds to the experience.

Little One was not thought of when first I decided upon my entry. That is my fault of course. Since he is now a reality, he must be considered. Advanced programs are not known for their patience. How will I accommodate him into my studies and work? Will my professors consider me a serious candidate because of pregnancy?

I suppose the true question of myself is will be able to give Little One proper care? I wish to raise my child. I do not wish to pass him to a caregiver. I do not wish to miss the important moments. I want to be the one who sees first him roll over, crawl, to sit, to walk, and say his first word.

I will continue my education. For now. I will look to my mother's example to see it can be done. She is a doctor. I am the only one born after her school was finished. It is certain though, I will not allow Little One to suffer by my absence. It is my responsibility to ensure he grows healthy and happy.

2 comments:

  1. All of life is a balancing act. My mother went back to school just after my brother was born and successfully got her advanced degrees. How that changed our childhood is hard to discern.

    Good wishes for success in your program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I'm frequently amazed by how gracefully some of my classmates juggle medical school / residency with care of little ones... I struggle to feed myself and water my plants.

    ReplyDelete