Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

17 weeks

I am now 17 weeks. Little one is the size of a potato. I feel small butterflies during my day.

I have a picture.

I am amazed at what is occurring. I am also intimidated. Will I be a good mother for him? Most importantly, will I do what is needed or what is easy? There is no manual which is surprising. According to Lt the Navy has a manual for everything. Where do they keep the baby manual?

I receive advice from all directions. I must do this. I must not do that. Strangely, among all this advice, no one has said I should love him. I admit, this seems like such a basic thing to do one need not advise it. But as I see news of a mother who neglects her baby to the point it dies then cries she did not mean for it to happen, she was depressed, I wonder if this advice is not the most important to give.

If I do all things for Little One through love, will he not grow to a fine young man? After all, if I love him, will I not do what is necessary in spite of difficulties? It is my place to raise him. It is my place to ensure he knows he is loved.

If I love my son, will I not be alert for anything that may harm him? Even should it be me as the mother in Texas was to her children? I am sure to be alone again. Lt is Navy. He will sail again. It is only a question of when. Would I seek out assistance should I become a threat?

As a note, the tragedy in Texas would have a difficult time occurring on our ship. The FRG regularly inquires of the well being and needs of our crew's family. Even I have visited spouses. Husbands or wives being underway for long periods is not easy for some. It has not always been easy for me. But our FRG motto is "Aboard our ship we are family! We care for each other!" And we prove it daily.

I think of what kind of mother I will be. I hope I am as my mother (did I say that?). I swear now though, I will not say things that will embarrass my children in public, at the least intentionally, with the exception of "I love you." They will need to accept that I will say that in spite of their friends being present.

3 comments:

  1. I think ALL great Mothers worry about the kind of Mother they will be. Your little belly is so cute! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cute! I love baby bumps. I've worked with underprivileged youth for most of my career and I can honestly tell you from what I've seen from parents, the fact that you even worry or care means you will be a fantastic parent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part of the right of passage is being embarrassed by ones parents ;) You must not neglect this most necessary ingredient...but you have many years before this will occur!

    my MiniWarrior is now 14 and towers above me at 5'11. He squawks from time to time saying, "Mom, stop, thats embarrassing!" I find myself beaming with pride for I know my job is done. hee hee :)

    ReplyDelete