Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2012

What is the name?

I am now always asked if I have chosen a name.

No. I have not. I suppose one should begin considering possible names as soon as possible. Naming my son will not be an easy task. He is American and Chinese.

An obvious name is his father's name. It would be easier for him as he grows. But I also wish him to know of his Chinese family. Lt says it is my choice but that is a silly idea. He is our son. I will leave his first name to Lt. I will determine the second name.

It will be convenient for Lt. As a child, his parents called him by his second name only when he was disobedient. I believe we may do much the same with Little One. Since Lt ear is tuned to hear English, he will know when he is required since he will hear the Chinese name.

Perhaps not. I do not wish him to think the Chinese is what causes his correction. Why would I wish for him to avoid me if I unintentionally lapse to my native language?

His first name is likely to be his father's name. I will NOT call him Chuck! That is my final word. For his second name I am fond of Jia Li. It fits the calendar and goes well with his father's name. Mother and Father are sure to have their ideas.

I suppose there is no hurry. Lt and I will choose a name that is fitting for Little One.

1 comment:

  1. In his play Romeo and Juliet Shakespeare once wrote

    Juliet:
    "What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet."

    Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

    But I think that names do have a psychological effect on people. Thus I feel it is a solemn duty to try and find an appropriate name for the new family member. I am sure you guys will do a good job in picking a name because you are mindful of this and other factors including his heritage and his destiny.

    ReplyDelete