Pages

Friday, June 01, 2012

Underways...

... are more difficult than I would have believed.

Lt is underway on his first extended trip. He has done sea trials and training but in all these, the time gone was only a few days. This trip is to last several weeks.

Intellectually, I was prepared for this time. I know why it is necessary. The "where" is simply somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. It is reasonable I do not know details of that. When is only a very foggy window. Even that I understand.

Now having acknowledged that, the emotional side of me does not understand and does not care for it at all! Why does the Navy find it necessary to take my husband from me for such an extended time? Could they not sail, perform a task, then come home after that task is complete? I understand their "tools" may reach farther than they can sail. Why must they sail so far?

Do they not know how inconvenient this is for me? My sleep is disturbed since Lt is not sleeping beside me. Do they not know how difficult it is to prepare food for one after preparing for two for so long? Do they not know I am bored senseless? Lt is gone so there is no one to make a mess about the house. No matter how slow I wash my dish it takes only a few minutes before I have nothing else to do. I believe Dorothy now avoids answering my calls since I have called her often. Yuki is patient and listens to me but speaking to a cat is not known to be stimulating conversation.

Does the Navy not understand that without Lt my days are  l   o   n   g   filled only with the occasional hour here or two hours there to occupy  my time. I will return to school soon but that is not until September! What am I to do while they are gone?

Oh wait! It seems I will move by myself to the tower on the base! It seems the Navy could not wait until after this before they sailed away. I wonder if this was intentional?

Perhaps it is good I have very little wine in my house. It would be easy to remain drunk dulled... until Lt comes home.

Ok... the whiny me has gone and the intelligent, composed me has returned...

The FRG is having a Father's Day potluck this month (rather ironic considering most of the fathers will not be there). They will provide the entree while we will provide the sides. We will also make a banner for the ship's homecoming. The homecoming is what I look forward to. For the obvious reason of course but also because it is my first.

Oh well... on with my day!


2 comments:

  1. I would use the empty time I guess to learn a new musical instrument. One could practice a lot and not feel guilty about ignoring their partner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could use the time to write more blog entries and letters. :-) Or train Yuki to make more of a mess, join you at the dining table, etc.

    Hopefully the time passes more quickly than you expect it to.

    ReplyDelete