Pages

Monday, April 22, 2024

46 Days

There are 46 days till our departure from Japan. Forty-six days to suffer the ugliness of this temporary furniture. Honestly, it is only for temporary use but this stuff should have been disposed of long ago. I suppose it is better than nothing. I could be eating and sleeping on the floor.

The only entertainment in the house is this laptop I am using and the children’s electronics. I told Jared it is a good thing I am already pregnant or …

We have never watched a lot of tv so it is not a crisis but it seems even children can not remain focused on a Switch all day. It is different seeing them huddled around the laptop watching something on such a small screen. We have has some very nice days so I have encouraged them to be outside as much as possible. School relieves me during weekdays. I am only left with a few hours in the evening to monitor the typhoons that are my children.

Jared’s last official duties on the ship happen this Friday with his change of command ceremony where he relinquishes command to another captain and he is wished “fair seas and following winds.” After that occurs, there is only out-processing to complete. We are getting there! Yokosuka is not a bad place to be stationed so do not think I condemn it. It is only I have been here 8 years and I am ready for a new place, even if it is still OCONUS.

Speaking of our next base, we have some of the necessities completed already. We have our sponsor. This is the person who will help us get started at Rota by helping Jared in-process and us find things we need like the NEx and commissary. We also have a house that will be awaiting our arrival. All of the paperwork is ready to sign and inspections are complete. We will stay in the Navy Lodge for only two days while they deliver temporary furniture.

If only they had tatami mats, shikibuton, and kakebuton (well, we have lalebuton but they are in our HHG shipment) as temporary furniture, our beds would be ready on arrival.


We had traditional Japanese beds (think of the movies where you see blankets on the floor) I suppose we must learn a new way of sleeping. I wonder how long the children will take to adjust to not putting away their bed? Lol

Many changes are rapidly approaching so we will take a pause at home for a few days before continuing on to our new home. I look forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment