Pages

Tuesday, February 04, 2014

How long?

How long have I stared at this blank screen with no idea what to write that may be of interest? I have done
nothing out of the ordinary. I went shopping today.  Perhaps I can give you a glimpse into what I grew up with. To some it may sound familiar. To others it may sound, well, different. It may sound "Andrew Zimmern" different.

Spicy Beef Tendons
I grew up eating foods such as spicy cumin beef tendons and hearts and lamb face salad. Eve then, those were reserved for special days. The number of people I know now that have eaten duck tongue or chicken feet soup are few. Pigeons on a stick anyone? I can thankfully say my mother was never one to cook dog or cat but they are a common meat in China.

I do know that many people think they thoroughly enjoy Chinese food. Most of them have never truly had it. Except for very rare times, they have eaten Chinese cooking that has been westernized. For instance, I have seen lambs face salad on menus in Chinese restaurants but a short interrogation of the staff reveals there is no lamb's head in use; only lamb meat. It is a change that anyone who has eaten true lamb's head salad would quickly discover since the flavor is different.
Lamb's Head Salad

Before you dismiss this dish, Look at it. Does it not look delicious? If I did not tell you from where the lamb the meat came, you would not be able to tell me a difference of any other lamb you have eaten except it would taste different.

Imagine my arrival in the U.S. and no familiar food booths to find a proper meal or even snack! Hunger drove me to try new things. I had no experience with "General Tso's Chicken" even though it was described as Chinese. I assure you it is not but, and depending on where you get it, can be quite tasty. Another that disappointed was egg rolls. Is it me or when one buys an egg roll they expect an egg to be in it is some fashion? To be honest I got them because I thought they were burritos. Imagine my surprise at finding no delicious meat filling.

So what do Chinese people really eat? A lot of vegetables, a sprinkle of meat, maybe some fruit. It is not fancy but it is what people would call comfort food. Unfortunately for me, I do not eat it often. The commissary is not the best place to find ingredients. I can, as Lt. says it, "fake it" most times.

I will say I believe in Andrew Zimmern's saying "If it looks good, eat it!" How will you know it is not something you would enjoy if you allow your own cultural preferences prevent you from exploring?

2 comments:

  1. One loves spicy beef tendons! Chicago is fortunate to have a bunch of indigenous Chinese restaurants, run by people fresh from China, especially some wonderful ones featuring Szechuan and Yunnan cuisine. Often though, I am the only non Chinese person eating there. Because Chicago is so far away from the ocean though, it is a bad place to have Cantonese food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making me hungry. :-)

    I'd guess that many Americans have never eaten lamb, or even duck, much less the tongue or foot of any animal. It's a shame.

    ReplyDelete