Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Some things...

... are not always what they seem at the beginning.

Some may remember Rude gate Guard from my arrival in Japan. A most unpleasant experience I do not wish to remember. Unfortunately, it is not so easy a thing to do. Especially since I must pass through that particular gate often.

Yesterday I was sitting and resting (something I do often of late) at my favorite bench along my usual walking route. As I rose to continue my walk it seems I emitted a groan. I did not realize I had done it. A young woman happened to be walking by and heard it. She asked me if I was well and I assured her I was. She decided to accompany me "just to make sure."

I recognized her immediately. In her eyes I could see a glimmer of recognition but she could not quite seem to come to who I was. I did not inform her of who I was beyond my name.

Her behavior was not that of the woman with which I had such a poor meeting shortly after my arrival. This woman seemed caring and interested in my well being. We chatted as we walked. Eventually, we arrived at the food court. I invited her to lunch with me at Sbarro's. After some encouragement she agreed. We had very pleasant conversation and enjoyed some pasta. Mine was rather plain since Little One does not care for spices.

As lunch concluded I invited her to visit if she wished to do so and gave her my tower and apartment number. As we walked to my car I saw her face flush. It seems she sees many faces so they tend to blur but when coupled with THAT car... She remembered well who it was she had just eaten lunch with. It is not often one eats lunch with someone who caused such difficulty in their life.

She asked me if I remembered her. "Of course." I replied. "Then why did you just have lunch with me?" she asked. You were kind to me. The confusion was apparent on her face. I explained to her that she did not treat me well at our first meeting. In turn, I did not treat her well. This time she was kind. It is only right I return that kindness as quickly as I had returned anger. Besides, what she showed me proved who I met at the gate was not who she truly is. That first day was not a good day for either of us. I did not want her to continue believing that is who I am.

I do not know if she will visit. I do know as I pass through her gate, the difference now is she smiles as she salutes my car and I smile as I wave to her.

Her name is Tammy.

5 comments:

  1. You handled that very gracefully: well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some times things are not always as they seem. Thank you for joining our hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for participating in the Wednesday Walkabout!

    Chantal @ Scattered Seashells
    (www.scatteredseashells.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so sweet. It can be hard to be nice to people who hurt us. But, doing so definitely makes you a bigger person. And, I think that's awesome you might have made a friend out of the whole thing. I love your blog, I;m glad you linked up with the Walkabout!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a lovely thing to do. I think our (as in most people) instinct would be to hold on to what had happened in the past! I would love to know if she ever came to visit you!

    Thanks for linking up with us at Flashback Friday!

    ReplyDelete