Lt went fishing. He caught many fish. They were disgusting!
As I watched him clean them I knew something was not correct. They tore much too easily and the meat was mushy. I am not a fish expert but I do know what fish meat is supposed to be and this was not it.
I asked Lt where he caught such fish. He explained the Commander heard of a place where fish were plentiful and easily caught. There was also a very high number you could catch and keep. It was somewhat expensive to enter. Lt said it cost them ¥5000 (at the current exchange rate it is $64.00)each. I will say sometimes high limits does not justify high cost.
What was wrong? Imagine putting a spoonful of lard into your mouth then drinking a glass of oil. This was the texture and flavor of these fish. I could not bring myself to swallow it. I am afraid my manners were forgotten in an impulse when I spit it out.
Lt's pride seemed to be hurt until he tasted it. He too spit it out. This was also repeated at Dorothy's house.
Investigation revealed the fish were trout. The place was a fish farm. The water was shallow and warm. All these things combine to make a horrible mistake to be made only once. If you are wise, you will ask others of it..... if you are wise, you will avoid Japanese fish farms unless you wish to pay ¥5000 to see fish swimming in shallow pools.
Fish farms are popular in Japan. The why of it I do not know. They are surrounded by ocean and seafood is plentiful and inexpensive. I would suppose it is part of the male ego of providing for his family that drives it. Buying it is not the same as catching it yourself.
I believe that to be rather silly. My Lt provides for us without killing the cow, or the chicken, or any other animal to provide meat. He has no farm where he grows our vegetables. These things we leave to others who are far more skilled at doing them. Lt will do those things the farmer and rancher can not do. We will eat well and they will eat in peace.
Lt made fried balogna sandwiches for dinner. Much more tasty than the fish.
ewwww and LOL!
ReplyDelete