Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Routine disrupted

I am happy Jared is home. I miss him terribly when he is gone. But his return tends to disrupt our routine and we must adjust to a different routine. 

We, the children and I, develop a routine when he is gone. It works very well for us. My planner suffers from neglect since daily events happen at the same time every day. Appointments are a intrusion but even then, I have time that allows for those anomalies with no disruption of the main events.

Jared does not intentionally throw our routine into disarray. He simply returns to his normal place in the family's life. There are things he does, though, that interrupt the flow around here. One of those things is the time he rises in the morning. It seems there are some important events on the ship today so he planned to rise at 0300 and be gone by 0400. I understand completely. The problem is, his daughter is like her mother in that she is a light sleeper and he accidentally woke her with his activities. His cooking of breakfast did not help matters. I heard him send Jun back to bed for all the good it did.

At 0400 I had the impression I was being stared at. I opened my eye to see Jun standing at the bedside staring intently at me. Before I could say anything she said, "Daddy left for work. I am hungry." Routine has been scuttled. Thank you dear. So I get up and begin preparing her breakfast. Enter Chao lei. Great. Now he is up and hungry. It seems my day has begun despite my wishes to the contrary. No hungry child will ever return to bed no matter how much I protest. I suppose it was a good thing to get up since it meant she would not go to the kitchen and prepare herself some other wild creation such as the dill pickle, peanut butter, and boiled egg sandwich she made the other day. Amazingly, she did eat it all.

I prepared wontons and dumplings since it is cold and windy this morning. It will keep them warm until they reach their class rooms and hold them well until lunch.

The remainder of the day should be back to the "Daddy is home" routine providing nothing arises to disrupt it again. It is the Navy though. Disruptions are routine.

 

2 comments:

  1. My husband does this too, when he gets up really early to go hunting or whatever. He has no concept of the importance of staying quiet at 3:30 a.m. so he doesn't wake children. Drives me crazy. Thakfully, it's a rare occurrence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 0300 is rare here too, thankfully. But I did get dinner out out for it so it is not so bad. lol

      Delete