Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2023

Happy New Year!

You believe me either late or very early, do you not? I am not addressing western new year though. I am addressing the Chinese New Year, otherwise known as the year of the Rabbit, which was technically yesterday but I was too busy celebrating to post of it.

Unlike the western new year, the Chinese New Year celebrations last for 16 days. Only the first 7 days are considered a holiday though. In China, one must become accustomed to the sound of explosions as fireworks are going off constantly. I have heard New year is the day the most fireworks are set off.

Western new year lasts a single night and is a time of revelry that many suffer from the next morning. The lunar new year will finish on February 5 with the 元宵  or yuán xiāo jié, the Lantern Festival. During this festival we have activities including moon gazing, lighting lanterns, riddles, lion dances and eating rice balls.




 

Most importantly, this is a time for family. I believe a western equivalent would be Thanksgiving. Though the Lantern Festival symbolizes reunions, it’s also a time of socializing and freedom. In Ancient China, women usually weren’t allowed out of the house alone. But on this night, they can stroll freely, lighting lanterns, playing games, and interacting with men. Quite scandalous at any other time of the year.

There are some holidays that coincide with the Lantern Festival and are now celebrated together, which is a good thing as it is not an official national holiday.

I made do with a single day of celebration in Yokohama China Town. I did locate the appropriate rice balls.


 

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Mei! We celebrated Lunar New Year here in South Korea, and it's become one of our favorite traditions, as well. We dined in rice cake soup and gifted our children each W5,000 for prosperity :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! I was so delighted with that photo of the rice balls. I was expecting white, and there's a rainbow instead. Fun.

    ReplyDelete