Pages

Friday, September 30, 2022

September is Done

Do you believe September is finished already? It has gone by so quickly. 

Perhaps it is because it is something new but but teaching at high school has kept me busy enough to not feel Jared's absence as intensely  as I have in the past. Or it could be I just grew up and have learned to deal with this life. Which ever. I am happy it is as normal as Navy life can be.

Jared did warn  that a change of ship type meant a change in underway frequency and duration. He has been gone for six weeks so far. Not the longest trip but long enough. It is safe to say our home routine is firmly established now and I sort of dread the homecoming. Not because I do not want Jared home, of course. I suppose it is better to say I dread the disruption of our routine. After all of the time I have lived with the Navy, one would think I would have discovered the off switch to our deployed routine and return to our family routine. That has been an elusive switch.

It is much work to reintegrate the family after Jared returns from an underway. I have to surrender my total control and return to him what is his share of running this household. I must deliberately think to allow him to do those things that have always been his portion. 

Of course, it is not all of my burden. He must remember that I am not one of his sailors and neither are the children. I understand why he does it at time. If you spend months commanding at sea, you tend to command all the time with everyone you interact with. There are no civilians on board. It usually takes a little nudge to remind him of his loss of command when he is home.

I am pleased with how I am living now. I think resigning the university and joining the high school faculty was just the thing to get me here. I am with my children now. I am with Jared now, (well, when he is home but I can be pier-side when he returns!)

Go, Navy!

4 comments:

  1. But seriously - where has September gone? Did you get a new design for your blog? I love the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get bored after a time. Besides, the colors more fit my mood. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad was a fairly high-ranking Air Force officer, and he definitely had that habit of command even at home. Still does. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put up with much of it but I do have a line that is dangerous to cross. lol

      Delete