Pages

Tuesday, October 04, 2022

The "C" Word has finally Been Uttered

 I went to the oncologist this morning and finally had someone say cancer. It was strangely settling to actually hear the word rather phrases like "highly suspicious."

It is cancer in my thyroid so I will be scheduled for a thyroidectomy in a few weeks. As cancers go, this one is a very slowly progressing one and it has been discovered very early so time is important but not of the essence. After surgery, I will be given a radioactive iodine pill that is supposed to chase down and kill any wandering thyroid cells. For this part, I am supposed to isolate from others because of the radiation I will be eliminating over a week avoiding contact with everyone and everything. I will have to tell my sweet little Yuki to go away. It is difficult enough for the children but the children will understand much more than her. She will only know that I sent her away.

I have questions. Questions such as, What do I do with my children for that week? Will Jared be home during this time? What is he supposed to do? If he is not home, what am I supposed to do? I have much to figure out in a short amount of time.

Now comes the time to discuss this with Chao lei and June. I would rather be the one to tell them the facts rather than give them little information to let others fill in with bad information. June already knows of the lump on my throat. She is the one that discovered it while snuggling. They both are curious but have been told I have no information until the doctor gives it to me. This should be fun. :/

When all is done, I will simply carry on living. What else is there to do?

6 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, Mei. I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm glad there's a solid plan of action though. I don't know much about Navy life, but do you have a solid FRG or support system within your fellow spouses? I hope that Jared will be home for you, too, soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have an excellent FRG. Jared's presence? Roll the dice. lol

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry, for you and your family. Wishing you strength and quick healing, as well as help from whatever source you can get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be worked out. Somehow. :-/

      Delete
  3. Oh Mei I am so sorry to read this. I am sending you love and strength and of course, a speedy recovery. XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kait. I will accept as much as I can get.

      Delete