I must say the events happening at home are sad and unfortunate. Racism is a bad thing that should not be. It is unfortunate that I have faced discrimination my entire life.
Growing up in China, I faced discrimination because I was a girl. Western women think they can understand what I speak of but really they have not faced what I faced every day. It is difficult to express the differences but they are there. Imagine being given less, protected less, physically and mentally treated as less in society simply for being born female. More than once I was told I should die and not waste space. Not by my parents but by others in my community. I put some blame on the Chinese government and their "one child" policy. The rest belongs on the shoulders of those whose minds were so cruel and closed.
In Chinese culture, a son is most important to continue the family name. A family with no son is ended. Daughters do not continue a family therefore a daughter is not what is desired. Until recently, it was common to discover baby girls who had been left to die so the parents could attempt a boy. China has recently relaxed this policy but after how many baby girls were left to die? I think it ironic this policy was relaxed because Chinese men are finding it difficult to find Chinese brides. It seems we are in short supply.
I do not make light of the western woman's plight at all. I have been able to experience that as well. Making matters worse, I am a short Chinese woman. Often in western countries, I have been spoken to as if I was a small child that could not fathom the complexities of life, much less my job. I have been treated differently because of my skin, the shape of my eyes or even the accent with which I speak. I have struggled many years to assimilate into my new world only to be told to go back where I came from.
Why people do this I do not know. My blood is as red as anyone's. If we were to compare the palms of our hands we would discover they have the same color. I was unaware of this until an African man showed me. Why does a pigment in the skin cause people to behave so? Why is different a bad thing for them?
As for these continuing protests... I believe it is a right to protest peacefully and is needed now and then. Violence is never an acceptable way to make yourself heard. Two people have been shot by rioters? This is not acceptable. It can even be said they have tainted the message with their violence. "You had my support until the rioting." is a common meme now. Because of the few violent ones, the message is being lost. Because of the continuing protests, it is being lost. People I have heard are becoming annoyed with the frequency of them. "You made your point, now be quiet" will not make changes either. Where is the balance then? I am not wise enough to know the answer.
For me, the only thing I may do is live the life that I would wish to see others live. I will not judge a person on some arbitrary thing as the pigment of their skin, their gender or even their spouse's rank (a common source of irritation to me). What is done in their private lives is just that, private. I strive to give respect until disrespect is earned.
Many events have taught me to not base my treatment of others on a single interaction. Who has not had a bad day? I remember one who treated me very poorly on our first meeting yet became a close friend to me. It was a bad day for us both that resulted in a blessing for us both. I try to live everyday and expect that every person I meet could be a friend. Even when they seem in a bad mood. I am not perfect in this but I do try.
Mei, I never even considered the prejudice against girls in China. How awful that you experienced that growing up. Honestly, it's been hard here because it almost feels as though you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. I absolutely support peaceful protests and attended one, myself. I also support good policing. It's a hard time we live in, and it baffles me that racism still exists to this day. I'm committed to raising my children right <3
ReplyDelete