As we prepare for Father Bing's funeral on Friday, life has continued. There are so many things that required our attention we have had no time to mourn. Mother Bing has had only a few crying times. I have not done so since I have arrived. Occupy my thoughts I determined to see to my year past.
We have survived another PCS. I was not overjoyed of the return to Japan. It is not because I disliked Japan but only because I hoped to see someplace different. Since I had no choice, I made a determination to do it differently than our last tour. I will see more and do more. Their are places to be discovered and places to be revisited such as Nabana No Sato in Kuwana.
I have another house. This time it is closer to the base so that there is no need to relocate to base housing again. I am only a five minute walk from the gate. It is sometimes nice to leave the base and pretend it is not there and to not see Navy uniforms everywhere. Do not misunderstand. I do not hate the Navy. I only need times that are not dominated by it.
I have resumed teaching at the University. It is pleasant returning to my office and discover they have changed nothing and they have vacated it for me. The intern was not as happy as I about his relocation.
It seems I will retain my title of Aunt Mei with the ship's crew. We have an ombudsman that does a wonderful job of caring for the crew and their families. I have chosen to focus on the single/solo sailors though. I have a large number of baking pans with which to make cookies and other treats though I have used them very little so far. That will change when they are home.
I have determined there is something in the water, air, or food here in Japan. Jared and I had decided another child would be a good thing though we took no real steps to accomplish that. We had to arrive in Japan to become pregnant. Now we wait for July 6, 2020. We will also wait to see if Jared is present for this one.
Speaking of Jared, he is not here. Again. In fact, he has been away for 5 weeks so far. The ship left before Thanksgiving and remains gone with no clear indication of its return date so far. It was my first Christmas alone. Well, not alone since Dorothy spent the day with Chao lei and I. It feels odd having present that are unwrapped sitting in the corner. Jared insisted we open our in his absence but I withheld some for his return.
It seems the Navy is compensating for late entry into the season cruise. That is likely not the case but it seems so to us. It is frustrating sometimes seeing the other ships in port while ours is absent. I am left to wonder how will our new year play out?
So many challenges to be undertaken, and so many hardships, as well. I know you'll weather them all well though, Mei. Wishing you the happiest of new years.
ReplyDelete