Pages

Thursday, December 05, 2019

A Little Rant

Finals are approaching and the inevitable has begun. It seems students believe their urgency to prepare is also mine. I do sympathize with them to a point as it is a lot of information to process. I will not bend to their demands of large amounts of my time since it is they who have put off the necessary until now. Besides, if I gave the time they demand, I would have none remaining for me.

I will assist them as I may but it will be inside the schedule I have already set and posted. That requires them to schedule an appointment by calling my office and meeting there. Would you believe some have requested my personal phone number or to meet them somewhere convenient to them? Of course I refuse.

I have had parents call and insist I give their child priority and special considerations. Really? Are these not adults attending university? Do they require parental intervention? It is difficult to not penalize the student for this even though sometimes I desperately desire to. It is especially difficult when the student inquires if their parent has spoken to me yet. To that, so far, I have replied yes and left it at that.

I have wondered of acquiring teaching credentials and taking a position at Kinnick High School on the base. Perhaps there I could better prepare students for university. It is a tempting idea.

End rant. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment