It has been suggested to me again that it would be better to reside in base housing since living of base is inconvenient for them. I refuse this time.
First, my house is only a short walk away from the gate. It can be walked in 10 minutes. If you are a slow walker, possibly 15 minutes. I like this house and it is better than base housing by far. The rent is cheaper than our last house in Japan. Because of that, the financial incentive to move into base housing is not as convincing as the last time. It is large enough for us with room to spare so I may entertain with ease.
Second, I do not wish to suffer the risk "indignity" of living among enlisted families speech of last time. Honestly, if we shop together, eat in the same restaurants, send our children to the same schools, etc., how is it we cannot live in the same buildings? Some of these officer's spouses act as if enlisted families are beneath them and some enlisted families act as if officer's spouses somehow threaten them. I choose to live here and allow my husband's rank to be his. I will not hide his rank but neither will I volunteer it as if it would make a difference.
I will remain off base unless Jared and I decide otherwise. If we do decide to move on base, I will make sure to request the same as our last time so others may learn it will not harm anyone to be among officers or enlisted.
Certainly, there are games to be endured if one wants to do well. I only choose to play the absolutely necessary games and leave the rest to others.
"In other news..." Yuki has been released from the Vets office. She is not happy with our separation. That is the impression from her. She sits in the corner watching every move but makes no effort for cuddles. She has not eaten anything. As they say, "If looks could kill." She will settle soon enough. She has no choice anyway. lol
It seems there will always be those who think they're entitled to more than others, solely because of rank. I've always loathed the idea of people wearing their servicemember's rank because 1) I'm my own person and 2) some of my best friends are married to those of different ranks. I applaud you putting your foot down and living where it is comfortable for you!
ReplyDeleteI am fortunate this is a return to Japan. I am ready for the silliness this time.
ReplyDelete