Pages

Thursday, February 02, 2012

Closer...

We have had a pre-deployment symposium. I tell you this only because the Navy has already told the world.

This means the day of departure looms ever closer. I am not the only person NOT excited about this day but it seems most approach it as a necessary evil. My personal view is, it is what it is. I knew it was approaching.

The oddity here is because I stood with Dorothy I was approached by young enlisted wives as if I had experience with deployments. I could not admit I was as new to this as they were. It is fortunate for me I have Dorothy to express my insecurity to. These other wives did not.

I have discovered many of the wives are new to the Navy as I am and many of them are as I was when I first immigrated. It is a fearful thing to be in a foreign country with no family. The nationality of those around you is not important. Only that they are not family. Their husbands have been aboard only since the ship was docked. They know of the crew families and command families so to see me enter and remain with Dorothy, who is well experienced with deployments and under ways, it is natural they assume I am too.

My hope is, as I gave them encouragement, I did not seem as hollow as I felt. I genuinely hope they do well. My offers to visit them are sincere. I wish to assist them as I may. Of course there is some selfishness too. If I am doing these things for them I may be distracted from my Lt being away.

We will do our best. It is the least we can do.

1 comment:

  1. This is an excellent attitude. Yes, it will be somewhat difficult, but you and Lt. have had some times apart when he was in the CG, haven't you? This will just be a little longer. Nowadays, at least they can email and skype home, more, so you can talk to them sometimes. Helping the others will help you, I think you will be a natural leader and very kind to them..

    ReplyDelete