Friday, February 17, 2012
A Breakfast, A Walk, and A Wedding
This morning Lt and I decided to take an early walk.
In the event you are curious, Lt's ship is in this picture. It is not the first one. That is the USS George Washington. Lt says they are repairing the anchor. I am curious what would cause the need to repair such a large thing. I have stood next to Lt's ship's anchor. It is larger than me! Some say that does not say much of its size since I am so small. I notice this is said when there is distance from me.
In any case, the docks are very quiet at this hour even though there is some activity as ships prepare for their days ahead.
Of course, after a short walk something must be done to raise energy. Lt and I stopped for breakfast. I am told this is a traditional Japanese breakfast. While it was delicious, it is not what I am accustomed to. I am not confident Lt enjoyed it as much as I did. He is American after all and not accustomed to such fare. I have eaten it most of my life. Given time, he will become more accustomed to it.
This idea is one shared by Lt for me. He attempts to cause me to become fond of detestable little things called "Vienna Sausages." I have been to Vienna. I saw no such sausage in my time there. They are smothered in gelatin that Lt slurps with glee. They have only enough substance to retain their shape but only just.
After breakfast we continued our walk. We were treated to a ship entering the harbor. The tugs were just meeting it to bring it to the pier. I will say watching such things inspires awe to one who witnesses it. It is comforting to know it is not to be used against me but to protect me. All I really wish to see though is Lt's ship making this same passage in the harbor.
It seems contradictory I know. I wish for my Lt to stay with me and yet wish to see his ship transiting the harbor knowing he will be aboard. I do not fully understand it myself. I know only I am proud of Lt and what he has chosen to do. I know also his desire is to be at sea performing his duties rather than tied up to the pier. He is excited to be under way. I believe I understand.
Near the end of our walk we encountered a Japanese wedding party. It was quite distinguished and orderly. My thought of it was the bride did not seem to be happy.(In truth, there was no one who seemed overly excited) At my wedding, I could barely contain my happiness so there was a constant smile upon my face. This bride seemed to be marching to her doom. She was lovely though.
Also, it seems there is yet another bride to anger other women. There is a debate ranging here between American women and Japanese women. "Japanese woman" should be translated as Asian since it is applied to any woman who is Asian including me. It seems the American women are jealous that they can not find enough American men to date while they are here. They claim all of the men seek asian women rather than American.
I am not an expert of Japanese women and their behavior but in my time here I have discovered they are kind and polite. I have not heard them speak ill of American women. That is not to say they do not, only that I have not heard them.
The American women however have not demonstrated these same traits. They speak of Japanese women with such venom. They have tended to seem rather... well... "bitchy" as Lt calls them, when speaking to the men.
According to some men I have heard speaking of this, the American women are demanding yet return little. In contrast they say the Japanese women give much but ask little. If this is the truth, why would a man decide for the American woman? It is only sensible to choose the one who gives the better return of effort.
I know many American women. Some may have thought in the manner they are accused but many did not. If it is truly as these men claim it to be and if these women wish to appeal more to these men, it would be wise they seek to be less demanding and more giving. I suspect though, the truth of it lies somewhere in the mixing of the two claims.
There are sure to be women that are as described. There are sure to be men who are as accused. Given those ideas, it is sure the matter lies between the American men and the American women. The Japanese women have no part of it. Their only link to this argument is their love of their husband.
I will not pretend I fully understand this. What I do understand clearly is... sometimes I think too much. Perhaps I should only enjoy the sights and not think of too much. lol
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



My best friend's brother married a Philipina when he was stationed in the Philipines.. Many men think the asian women are meek and obedient. I am sure they have learned their lesson by now! I know he has!lol Many asian women I know simply know how to "handle" their men better, and pick their battles. I think, like you, there is a wide divergence in all women, not just American and Asian.. but most American women do seem to me to be somewhat demanding.. Some men doubtless like that..lol
ReplyDelete