Pages

Friday, October 20, 2006

Hmmmm

I find I am more well disposed to this sight for blogging. It seems easy to use. It looks more visually stimulating.

I think the name suits me more also. It is more precise in its description of my life. Chinese living in English is more difficult than it may seem.

First, the language here is not mine. Not yet. I will learn in time. Now sometimes things are said that I am unaware of the meaning and therefore feel left out of conversation. Carrying a dictionary is awkward. I think I have become adept asking at appropriate times and remaining silent at others. But there are those times when it is obvious. Usually it is a joke I do not understand and I stare blankly desperately trying to define the words to find the humor. Many times I am not successful.

Second, it seems there are people who do not care for me simply because I do not look as they do. My eyes are not round. I have no choice to those. I would not change them in any case. My hair is black. In this I have a choice but I have seen many Chinese girls with their hair colored. Some have been successful. Most, to my eyes, look, well, silly. These are usually those who have become blond or some other light color. Brunette is acceptable but I fear I would look silly. My hair will remain as it is.

There are other contrasts. As I have time I will write of them.

3 comments:

  1. The language barrier that you deal with is impressive. I know this isn't the same, but I often fail to understand what others are talking about or miss their humor entirely. Many times I'll let it go, but sometimes I'll ask. For you it must be much more difficult, though it's hard to imagine that being the case when I see the way you write.

    Also, I don't understand how there can still be people who would dislike others for looking different. I hope you'll never change in order to look like others do.

    When you have time, I'd like to know about the other contrasts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loofa... What you see is written carefully with glances at my dictionary. Conversation often will not wait for me to search for the words in a book. There are 3 choices for me. Ask. Be silent. Be told.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will gladly wait for you to search for the words if we ever talk in person. Unless you prefer to ask. I love dictionaries.

    ReplyDelete