Pages

Friday, September 01, 2023

What the Heck?

We were watching the news on AFN when a report came on about Seattle culture. She was watching it intensely. I suddenly found myself in this conversation with her:

June: Why do people dress like hamsters?

Me: Do you mean hipsters?

June: What is the difference?

How to answer that question? The hamster part is is easy. It is a rodent like a mouse. The hipster part? How do you describe a hipster to a three year old?


Last night, after her prayers we had this conversation:

June ends every one of her prayers with “A man.”

June: Who is the man we are talking about when we’re praying.

Me: idk what you’re talking about.

June: You know. A man

Me: Oh. You mean Amen.

June: You mean it is a bunch of men?

I believe this comes from her hearing the chaplain end his prayers that way. Our chaplain is from Arkansas and has that accent so his amen sounds like aman. That is the only answer that comes to me. Explaining its real meaning was lost on her so we just say it means "The End." It is what she would accept.

She keeps me on my toes. I have to explain many things I never thought I would be required to explain.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment