Pages

Tuesday, August 29, 2023

No Class Clowns... I Hope

The school year has begun and so far is calm and no class clowns have revealed themselves. That is not to say there are none with a rich sense of humor. Only that their humor tends to stay  on the reserved side. There is the occasional joke but it only borders on disruptive. I can live with that.

We have walked to school these first days. The morning walk is good for me. June is indifferent to it. Chao lei asks, "Are they not making busses anymore?" The afternoon return is another matter. Ir is a bit warm in the afternoon; usually about 90, which is not what is uncomfortable. Humidity is what does it. for me, it makes me sweat and while uncomfortable it is not intolerable. Do you know how long a walk is when there are two children whining and complaining about how hot it is and how heavy their bags are?

I am convinced that walking to school will be reserved for cooler weather. It took only two days to do that. That is how bad the whining was. It was as the week before projects are due and students are crying for more time. Yes, I gave in quickly. When Jared returns, perhaps I can convince him to walk to school with us. Let us see what whining occurs then.

I believe it is mostly a new routine that they are unaccustomed to that contributed to this. That will be changed soon. We thrive on routine. It is the master of our days. It is my fault for not beginning the change sooner but change we will.

Routine and change. They are a strange combination to live by but it is the Navy way. We establish a routine... for a while. Then we have to change it. School helps to keep it reasonably steady, especially for the children. Their change is usually their father is home at night or he is not. 

I, on the other hand, have the greatest changes to routine. I spend a considerable amount of time doing the adult things by myself. I shop, I cook, I clean, I tend the children, I work at the school, I take care of base business...You know, full on adulting. Then Jared comes home and parts of my routine are taken away and I am only required to adult part time. It may sound as I should enjoy the breaks but for me, it is akin to losing my day planner. Doing that is what I would be like with no brain, lost and confused. Worse, he leaves again and it starts all over which would not be so difficult if I was given his departure schedules so I could plan for them.

Wow. That took a crazy turn. Sorry. I suppose it started to overtake me there for a moment.

I got it. I can do this. Again.

1 comment: