Pages

Saturday, August 19, 2023

The Real Start

The real start of school is Monday. Finally. A week of staff meetings about what we already know and "training" on things we already are capable of is, at best, tedious. We did not do this last year. At the least we now know we cannot use the term "woke" when relating to students. Other than that, nothing is changed. 

I look forward to Monday. I will meet my students for this year then. Some I will already know. Some from last year I will not see this year. Some will be brand new faces that I must now get to know. That is the way of a DoDEA school. There is a steady turnover of students. Were I to remain at this school for several years, I still would not develop the relationships a civilian teacher would. I would have them only two, possibly three years.

The children and I begin the new school year without their father... again.We will be required to settle for sending him first day pictures and slightly longer messenger chats. Chao lei is quite used to this. June is not. They are both disappointed but I would say June is more so. Her father has been home for longer than is usual and I am afraid she began to get used to his presence. She is a tough little girl though and will deal with it, I am sure.

It was time for him to go. Being honest, I was becoming accustomed to his presence. One does not wish to be separated from their spouse but an experienced spouse knows, the longer they remain in port, the harder the next departure will be. I must make myself content with knowing that one day, I will have him everyday.

On the "Next Assignment" front, the possibles are down to two. Neither are CONUS. *sigh*

And life in the Navy goes on.

2 comments:

  1. I'm very interested to hear of your next assignment! I'm sorry your husband is gone again - it's so hard. Mieke has always struggled more with him being gone because she had him home for so long during Covid. It was stranger for her than for the boys who are now used to it. His exercises will have him gone often here though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to know what the choices are so I could cheer for one or the other. I only know they are not CONUS

      Delete