It is the end of my summer break. Now that it is here, a bit of reflection is occurring. There were so many festivals attended. Truth be told, festival season is not over. There is the Minatomirai Bon Odori festival next week. It is an important festival in Yokohama. there are many more after that all the way to October. School will definitely put a damper on festival attendance.
Of course, end of summer means typhoon season. Even now we are TCCOR5 on base. That is Tropical Condition of Readiness with 5 being the lowest alert level. Typhoon Lan is expected to be mild, only 75 kts wind. It is number 1 of the season. There will be more.
The beginning of the school year for me is Monday. I look forward to it. There is the thrill of meeting new students, buying new school supplies, and starting a fresh new year. But there is also the dread of spending nights grading, and sitting through yet another faculty meeting.
Where did my summer go? What was I thinking all summer? I should not have gone on vacation with my children. I should not have taken all those naps. I did not do enough to prepare. you can never do enough to prepare. These are the thoughts screaming in my head.
It is not all bad though. Actually, far from it. I have a summer’s worth of Pinterest browsing to unleash on my classrooms and my lesson planning. It might as well be Christmas morning. I get to change lives, mold the next generation? I have this.
Teaching is a demanding field. I have always know this (I remember me as a student). But what other job lets you change young lives like this one?
I don't miss typhoon season in Korea, but fire season here is pretty wild, too!
ReplyDeleteMy brother-in-law is a wild-land fire fighter and he gives us regular updates of the fires.From his stories, I am very happy Jared is not one.
ReplyDelete