Pages

Thursday, September 07, 2023

PCS News?

Jared has returned and brought news. According to him, our next assignment will be Europe/Mediterranean although the exact station remains unsettled. Of course, that at least limits the possibilities as there are only so many naval stations in Europe/Mediterranean. Jared says it is leaning more towards one but he will not say until he knows. He does not want to get my hopes up. How do you do that when I do not want to be in Europe or the Mediterranean?  Lol Whichever it is, we will know very soon.

Being one who does not wish surprises, I immediately began my own research into the possibilities. My research leads me to believe that it is one of three stations: Spain, Bahrain, or Djibouti. I have no desire to live in the desert nor the Middle East so that leaves Spain. Spain is not my ideal choice of stations, but it is better than the alternatives. Admittedly, all three have access to the Mediterranean but even Jared’s lack of information to me leaves me focused on Spain. He has not said anything, but his silence speaks volumes. Mention Rota, Spain and he ceases speaking. Any mention of the other two and he continues speaking. All we know of this next assignment is, Jared will assume command of some destroyer. A ship name would help reveal what its homeport is, but Jared has not let that information slip yet.

The move is said to take up to almost a year, fulfilling all the requirements. We have the usual mountains of paperwork to do but there are other requirements to be met. Our HHG could take 130 days or more to move from Japan to whatever station we end up at: the farther east, the longer the time. It is long enough for OCONUS to CONUS moves or vice versa. This time is up to triple the time of our last move. It must travel from Japan to the west coast, then across the country to the east coast, then to whatever station in Europe/Mediterranean we end up at. I am hoping to get it picked up early enough to decrease the wait time at the other end. Another consideration is to get only the necessities into our UB, have our HHG put into storage until we return to stateside and purchase anything else we need when we get there. I am leaning toward the latter.

Most of our things would not work well in Europe, I am told. Our electronics and such would not work. Europe’s voltage is higher. They have transformers but I am also told the lower frequency is bad for US appliances and electronics. Given that, we will need to replace those things anyway. Our TV will not work since it is a different system, something about NTSC and PAL. Perhaps Jared will be gone during the tv choosing event this time. I really do not want another 5 million inch tv again (exaggeration but you get the point), especially when it is me and the children that watch it most. We do not need the feeling of being on the field during sports.

I have been accused of being a minimalist, usually by Jared. Being a minimalist is not such a bad thing I think. Especially while in the Navy since we move every couple of years or so. There is less threat of exceeding maximum weight in HHG shipments. I suppose if I choose to eliminate everything and buy new when we arrive, that should end his “You never buy anything” complaints for a while. That would be a plus. I never imagined being complained at so often for NOT spending money.

I suppose I should begin disposing of unnecessaries now and packing little used things. Why wait until the last moment? 

Change is inevitable. Yesterday I watched USS Shilo (Jared's last ship) sail out of the bay. I did not know it was to be the last time I would see it. I discovered today that its tour at Yokosuka is over after 17 years. Now she sails closer to her retirement, next year I am led to believe. I will miss seeing her.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh the lack of knowing is so hard, but I'm hopeful it will be a smooth transition for you! Transformers will help for the voltage differences, thankfully (we made it work from Europe, to the US, to Korea, so I think you'll be okay!) I can't wait to hear!

    ReplyDelete