Pages

Saturday, September 09, 2023

Recipes

Ok. I give in. It seems my blog title continues to bring visitors looking for soup recipes. I will post recipes as I discover those I enjoy. I do enjoy soup. Especially in the winter. I have many but I only make the ones I really enjoy. Some are old. Some are new, to me at least.

So here is the first one. I have enjoyed it many times and I do not have to fight the children to eat it providing I also have bread and it is not too spicy for them.

West African Groundnut Stew

  •  2 Tbsp canola oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1-2 chopped jalapeno peppers, seeds removed (or not if you prefer a little more kick to your soup)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbsp grated peeled ginger root
  • 3 cups chopped green cabbage
  • 3 cups cubed potatoes
  • 3 cups tomato juice
  • 1 cup vegetable stock
  • 2 cups chopped tomatoes
  • 2 cups chopped zucchini
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • salt and pepper to taste

 

Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the oil. 

When it has warmed, sauté the onions for about 5 minutes. 

Stir in jalapeno pepper, garlic and ginger and cook a few more minutes. 

Add the cabbage and potatoes and cook for 2 minutes. 

Stir in the tomato juice, veg stock and tomatoes. Cover and simmer 15 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.  

 Stir in the zucchini and cilantro and cook 5 minutes longer. 

Turn the heat to low, stir in the peanut butter and simmer gently until ready to serve.  

Add more juice or stock if you find it too thick.  Season with salt and pepper. 

Add cayenne pepper for more heat, to taste. 

Garnish with more cilantro. 

Serve over bowls of steamed brown rice or quinoa. Serves 6.


 

 

2 comments:

  1. This is cool. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome. I am happy to see you again. Next week I'm thinking something nite common in my house; a Chinese soup.

    ReplyDelete