Pages

Monday, December 12, 2022

Dare I Say It?

Dare I say we are returning to a "normal" routine? I will not say it too loud. The Navy may hear me and throw change our way.

We shopped. All week end. Saturday was spent on the Blue Road visiting all the shops we have neglected for so long.


It is called the Blue Road because, if one looks closely, there are blue flakes mixed with the asphalt. It was an attempt to recycle material from construction. That this is the only blue road and it is so short, I cannot say it was a successful attempt. Being Japan though, they still mix blue flakes in the asphalt so that the road is uniform. It is not aesthetically acceptable to have a solid black square in the middle of blue.

For a change of pace, we spent Sunday in Yokohama. Oddly enough, we decided to walk the Yamatecho Walk, other wise known as  Yokohama Chinatown.


 I actually spent much time conversing in Mandarin and Cantonese, which is not something you expect to do in Japan. We may find it is necessary to make a return trip soon.

Something I love of the Japanese, their menus are pictorial. One need not be able to read the menu, only look at the picture.


Some even go so far as having plastic replicas of their food. Whichever method they use to show their menu, one can reasonable count on getting something they will enjoy with few surprises. Understand, there will be a surprise here and there but always eat as Andrew Zimmern says, "If it looks good, eat it." Sometimes though, it is best not to ask what it was that you just enjoyed.

It was a most enjoyable time. Since it is Christmas time, the shopping is a little crowded so it is best to arrive by train. Sunday ended with a sleeping Jun riding the train in her father's arms and a tired Chao lei helping his mother carry the few packages acquired in shopping. I think we will do this again. Only maybe not two days in a row.

1 comment:

  1. That looks fun. And so glad your husband is home to do family things with you.

    ReplyDelete