Jared is underway for the first time this season. He has not gone far. With a pair of binoculars, I can see the ship just off shore. Two miles-two thousand miles, there is no difference. Both mean he is gone. For how long is anyone’s guess.
June will be a musician I think. Her favorite activity is banging a spoon on whatever is nearby. She is quite noisy for long periods. She has chosen my rice spoon as her favorite drum stick and upset when she cannot find it but sometimes, her crying is a welcome change from her banging. She has great stamina for either one.
Chao lei makes a mother happy. The teacher says he is a pleasure to have in class and he is very bright. Sometimes he is too bright as he corrects teachers regularly. When told his answer is correct but his method is not he has replied that “people learn in different ways. This is how he learns it.” His teacher says he is always respectful when he does this. At the least, I can take comfort in that.
Speaking of teaching, final exams approach. I love teaching. I do not love students who insist on waiting until it is very late and expect me to accept their urgency as my own. Even worse is parents who call on behalf of their student. Are they not adults responsible for their own choices? I would be mortified if my parents tried garnering special favor or attention in a class. I am polite but offer no such special favors to parents much less students. They will pass or fail on their own merits.
I love teaching. I will be glad when term is over and I have until fall term to do as I wish with my time.
I'm sorry you're dealing with an underway already - and I must say, the frustration of them being so close but so far is relatable. When Ryan is TDY at JBLM, he's often in Yakima, just three hours a way, but nevertheless, gone.
ReplyDeleteI am accustomed to them. I will never really care for the though.
Delete