Pages

Friday, May 28, 2021

Gifts

Have you ever been given a gift that felt.... different?

I recently received a gift that makes me uncomfortable. First, I was given no opportunity of accepting or rejecting it. It was delivered by a senior professor who simply left it at my office with no note or explanation of it. Second, simply giving it back is not an option. It must be noted that in Japan, it is considered exceptionally rude (and possibly career ending) to reject a gift with no reasonable explanation as to why it is rejected, especially if given by a senior. A reasonable reason to return it would be along the lines of you already have one and are offering them an opportunity to choose a different, more suitable gift. Since it was a bottle of wine, and everyone knows I enjoy wine, that excuse is unavailable.

This senior professor I only know in passing since we are in different departments. This makes his gift even more unsettling since the wine is one of my preferred labels and is not available in Japan; it must be imported from the US from a small winery in Walla Walla. Is it coincidence that he has given this particular label or is it intentional?

I have settled for waiting to see what is next while hoping I am just over-thinking this. To make reports of this too early could offend or adversely affect someone who is innocent. I do not wish to be the one that causes a good deed to be punished.

1 comment:

  1. What a strange thing! I have had this happen before, and I ended up keeping it and re-gifting to someone else a year later. It was the only clean solution that felt good to me.

    ReplyDelete