After much conferring with Jared and much thought, I have decided to accept the Assistant Professor position at the university but some things must be in the new contract. The university has accepted those conditions.
One of those conditions is the same as when renting a house off base. There must be an out clause should the Navy decide we must relocate. Without that, how could I accept? I have no desire to live apart from my family for any length of time while awaiting a contract to expire. It is also to be limited in duration. For now, I have opted for two years of commitment. I can always lengthen it if necessary.
The advantage of this new contract is, it will look better at a new university that I have already been seen worthy to be a full professor. Eventually, I wish to pursue tenure. This would contribute significantly to that end.
Preparations begin for the new cruise season despite an impending ship swap for Jared. I only hope the Navy brings him home for any change of command ceremony. They have been known to be conducted underway. That it happens is their primary concern. Families' desire to attend is a distant concern.
I must admit, Jared assuming command of a ship is intimidating to me. It was difficult only becoming a naval officers wife. The wife of a ship's captain? I have no idea what to expect. Jean, where are you when I need your advice? I know from observing other captain's wives, one is under considerably more scrutiny than other wives. But, no pressure.
I assume we will spend even more time apart. When not underway, it seems common for captains to be tdy attending this school or that meeting. As many outings must be planned before any changes occur. In the future they will likely be more spontaneous if Jared is to be included.
Congratulations on accepting the position, Mei! I'm happy for you! And I hope that Jared makes it home for the change of command ceremony. Those are special!
ReplyDelete