Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2021

Event of The Week

A very tempting offer was made this week from the university. I have been offered Assistant Professor. The difference of adjunct and assistant is adjunct is part time on a limited time contract and an assistant is full-time faculty.

Currently, I must sign a new contract each term. I am listed as staff on the school roster. Students could address me as professor but it would be inaccurate therefore I am addressed simply as Doctor. Outside of those things I would appear as any other professor. The convenience of being an adjunct is that my ties to the Navy would not be interfered with in any way. Should I need to leave I simply resign and go.

Being offered Assistant Professor means I am no longer just staff. I would be listed as Professor Xiang in the roster and could be addressed as such. The position also opens the possibility of being able to research on my own. It also begins the path to tenure should I desire it, though I do not think it likely since I will not be here for any lengthy stay.

Pay would also increase. It is not a primary consideration for me. I teach because I enjoy it. My husband supports us well enough. I do not want for anything. Increased income would only result in a larger bank account.

Of course, with finals approaching, more money could pay for more headache tablets to help me survive  the usual onslaught of  unprepared students.

1 comment:

  1. Mei, this is wonderful! What an absolutely exciting and well-deserved (I'm sure) opportunity! I'm excited to see what you decide!

    ReplyDelete