Here we are in a new year. It remains to be seen what kind of year it will be but is that not true of every year? I have heard some humorous statements about anticipation of this year. One is the hope that 2021 is not saying to 2020, "Here. Hold my beer!"
Another statement I have heard is concerning last year. They called it a "Fog Year." It was a fog year because in the fog, one may only see those that are close to them. They become closer as a result. Those at a distance are unseen and do not distract. It is a beautiful thought about a horrible year. I have said many times that I thought families were being drawn apart by many things: cell phones, social media... This past year has brought families together again. They speak to each other again. They "see" each other again. I suppose the question now is, how long will it last?
My year had many negatives. I lost Father Bing. I spent the beginning of the year at home in Oregon for his funeral and to mourn with Mother Bing and Heather. Death is inevitable. One only wishes it would warn us before it comes.
Jared was away for 234 days last year and once again missed the birth of his child. Of course, he missed most of the pregnancy again too. I love our life with the Navy but sometimes... There were horrible fires at home. Entire towns were burned.
We could not venture out very far so our travels have been extremely limited. Hikes at new places have been very rare. travel restrictions have kept us at very local parks. Just as we begin to think we will see relaxed travel restrictions, CoVid rears its head.
It has not been all bad though. This tour began better than the last. There have been no ugly incidences with gate guards. I am more experienced this time and know what to expect but more importantly, how to respond. I live close to that very gate. I have a better house than then too.
June Bao was born. A quieter baby would be difficult to find. A few times of excitement not withstanding, she has been an easy child to have. Even labor was easy when compared to Chao lei. Jared could not be happier with her. He has wondered of another. Funny how he so easily thinks of these things when it is not him that has even been present for the pregnancies much less has been the one giving birth... or even present for a birth.
Chao lei grows into a fine young man. He does well in school. He is helpful at home. He adores his sister and is protective of her. A mother could not ask more of her son. I would not have done so well during pregnancy without him. He is becoming too smart for his own good though. He told his teacher, when corrected on an assignment, not that the answer was incorrect, only the method, "Some people learn in different ways. This is how I do it." How can you reply to that? How can you maintain a straight face while replying to that?
I am glad 2020 is done. I look forward to what the new year has in store for us. I suppose what type of year it is depends on our attitude. I will strive to keep a positive one.
Cheers to a new year, Mei! I'm hopeful this will be a year of great adventures, far and near, and that COVID will soon be a distance memory. While I know that's still wishful thinking, I'm erring on the side of positivity <3
ReplyDeleteI also hope for the adventures. I hope they will be farther away this year too. Lol
DeleteCheers to 2021! I have never heard the term "Fog Year" but I like it and I think it's so true. 2020 brought your beautiful June Bao + I laughed at Chao lei's response to the teacher. So cheeky -- but he isn't wrong! ;)
ReplyDeleteI fear Chao lei will cause me to shake my head often helpless to find how he is incorrect. :-D
Delete