I like to think of myself as intelligent. I like to think I have a decent grip on life. When one has a cat though, it is unsettling to discover they are very often smarter and wiser than you.
My cat Yuki is most precious to me. She gives unconditional love. She does not care that my hair is a mess or if I remain in my pajama all day. I still get cuddles even if I have a little extra fat on me. She does not judge me for my imperfections. She has taught me many lessons.
Patience... develop some.
Yuki shows that it always pays off. There are times she wants something from me so she comes to get me. I may be asleep or engaged in some project and ca not see to her right away. In those cases, she sits and waits no matter how long it takes.
As a military spouse, patience is a necessity if one wishes to keep their sanity. Often, plans are made that must be postponed. There are things we wish for but must wait. Her lesson for me was I may not get immediate gratification so be patient and it will happen.
Take a chance
watching a cat play is a wonderful pastime. Watching them in awe as they perform feats we could only imaging doing ourselves. Their grace as they seem to always land on their feet amazes. Except when they do not. Then they provide us with entertainment. The surprising thing is, even though they misjudged their leap or lost their balance, they got up and tried again.
My lesson learned from her is take a chance. If there is something I wish to try but am afraid I will fail, try it anyway. If I fail, it is not the end of the world. Try it again.
Be there
Yuki knows what kind of day I am experiencing. She pays close attention. Many times she came to comfort me whether I was sick or only having a bad day. She did nothing but be with me. Her mere presence was enough.
Paying attention to those around us is sometimes difficult because we are focused only on ourselves. We should do as Yuki and look to others sometimes and be there for them. If a cat can sooth my spirit with just his presence, how much more can we do for each other when we look to others and just be there.
Be satisfied
Yuki is not a fat cat. She is trim and athletic. It is not because I feed her special food or have her following a strict regimen. She does this on her own. They say "always available" feeding is not a good way to feed cats as it leads to being overweight and arthritis. For Yuki, this is not so. She eats a little bit and walks away.
Yuki has shown me it is healthy to have just enough food to be satisfied. This is yet another life lesson to live by. Have food to live, but do not live for food.
Enjoy the moment
Have you ever watch a cat laying tummy up in the sun doing nothing? It is a moment they seem most content with. They are vulnerable but happy. Watching her, I am reminded to enjoy the little things. Enjoy the sun. Take a walk. Take some quiet time and just be.
Love
I have made many mistakes. Yuki does not care. She is a constant source of support and love every day. Sure, she wants her alone time and will actively avoid contact but she is eager to share her love with a purr and a head butt.
I have offended Yuki more than once. She sulks away for time alone but she returns later showing me she is over it and still loves me. We are in this life together. Unconditional love is the greatest lesson we share. Let us have our time but do not let us forget to come together again.
I love cats (and animals) for so many of these reasons! I believe animals teach us the meaning of unconditional love and resilience, especially as they rely on us for comfortable living. I love this message though, Mei. So very true!
ReplyDeleteIt is beyond mr how done can mistreat them despite them returning time after time seeking and giving love.
DeleteCats are truly wonderful.
ReplyDeleteI live a better life because of Yuki.
Delete