Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2021

New Year, New Discussions

 The year is off to a smooth beginning. Jared has been home the entire year so far! Granted, 12 days are not much but I will take them.

Jared has received his CoVid immunization. So far, there have been no bad side effects. I admit though, things I have seen on-line have cause me to be leery of it. I know on-line is not always the most accurate source of information. The worst thing he has suffered from the injection is arm pain. Still, I hope to watch this progress for a short time before deciding when to receive mine.

Children are often brutally upfront with their ideas and opinions. Chao lei was subjected to one child's opinion of me. It would seem I am not an American because I look "Japanese" ( I am Chinese but that is not the point). He came home somewhat unsettled about it. This helped us speak of something I believe is important for all children to learn.

Chao lei knows himself to be a natural American. It took some explaining to convince him that being an American is not because you have a particular skin color. Being born somewhere outside the US does not prevent you from being an American. The other little boy believes that because his mother is not a citizen, then no Asian mother can be. It seems she has no idea what would be required to become one herself since she is newly married to a sailor. 

I told Chao lei that I am a citizen because I chose to be. I came to America to work with no expectations of remaining permanently. It took time to decide that is what I wanted. I had to establish residency as an immigrant rather than as a worker and I had to pass the civics exam. My decisions were difficult at times knowing what I would give up and never be able to regain. 

I am thankful that he will not be required to choose his citizenship. Despite him being born in Japan, he is an American citizen because he is the child of American citizens. If he wishes differently, he will have to make the choice, as I did, but it cannot be taken from him.

This is a situation that few other mothers must face. Explaining to an eight year old that that his mother is a citizen, as is he, probably would not be brought up were we not in an Asian country. In CONUS, it is assumed. I do not fault the other boy. He was merely telling us how he understands his world. Chao lei now has a better understanding of how his world works.

I know there are many more of these conversations coming. I pray I am up to the task of having them.

4 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how strange it must be for children these days to have to learn such things - especially for one born outside of the US. I am the child of immigrants, myself, and I have so much to teach my own children about the nature of being a citizen, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I belive Chao lei understands that I was an immigrant but had always been a citizen. I am determined he will know what it is to be a citizen of the US and will do well on a civics test.

      Delete
  2. I am so proud of how you handle your role as a mom and American citizen and you should be so proud, as Chao lei's mom, of how inquisitive and smart he is :) Also - kids can be so mean!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very proud of Chao lei. Sometimes he is too smart for his own good. Lol
      I do not believe the other child was being mean. Rather, he was only speaking what he thought was truth with no malice intended.

      Delete