It is getting more difficult to convince June to remain where she is for a short while longer. Contractions are becoming more frequent but Jared is not home yet. I find myself trying to distract myself as if it will stop the contractions or delay the birth. Silly, I know.
Chao lei has decided he is not fond of my contractions. He tells my tummy to "stop hurting my mom" as if it would pay any attention to him. lol I am subjected to endless questions of what he should expect, what is happening now and will I still love him when June is born. The last question shocked me. What have I done to cause him to believe my love for him would change because June is born? I do reassure him there will be no change in how I love him. I have warned him that babies require much more attention than a big boy such as he but it will not mean I love him any less. It will be necessary to make time for him. We will continue with many of our customary activities.
Lately, I find myself living vicariously through other people's adventures since I can not go for myself. Adventurous bloggers are my lifeline. Chao lei does not care since they are only pictures but I do. It causes me to earnestly plan our own adventures once June is born and, hopefully, my back recovers without surgery. There are many places in Japan I have yet to hike. I have not climbed Mt. Fuji. How can you say you have lived in Japan without having done that? I need only acquire the baby carrier and have a husband about to hike with.
It seems Japan is over CoVid. The state of emergency has been lifted and all limits of businesses are no more. That does not mean the Navy has done so. We remain limited on what we are permitted to do. Japan says we may return to normal, for now, while the Navy says we may not. It is tempting to return to normal off base while following the restrictions on base but the Navy's reach extends beyond the gates so I do not. I do tend to believe that my Asian (though not Japanese) appearance would help me to get away with it though. White people in general seem unable to clearly see the distinction between different Asian people; "You all look the same." Still, integrity demands I do not attempt such a thing.
I believe the race between Jared and June will go to June. Once again, Jared will be allowed to disembark the ship first to meet his daughter. She will be denied meeting him earlier. Such is life in the Navy.
I'm hoping Jared makes it home soon for you, Mei! That's such an uncertain time, and I remember that race with Mieke's birth. For what it's worth, the uncertainty your son is feeling is so normal! Both Spencer and Porter asked similar questions before Mieke was born, and though it took time, their love for her trumped their concerns!
ReplyDelete