Pages

Monday, May 18, 2020

The end?

Dare I say it? It seems the end is in sight. As restrictions begin to be lifted, people are relaxing more. Still, abundant precaution is being exercised on the base. The surrounding community seems to not change.

Truth be known, the Japanese were wearing masks before the virus appeared. A person suffering a cold or the air is thick with pollution was reason enough. The only difference of now and then is more people have been wearing them. I see shop owners wearing them but lately, more customers are not.

On base the restrictions ease. Chao lei is pleased for some of it. I am able to take him to the play areas but only if there are less than 5 children. That means we must be early or our timing is fortuitous. Chao lei has no issue with being there early. He has, almost daily, come to be sure I am awake and ready for a 6 am visit to the park.

Adults may now run the base perimeter but spacing must be maintained. We may also use the pool if one makes reservations. I may begin running if only to be able to be outside for a time. I only wish it were like home soon where restaurants are beginning to host sit-down dinners. I could die for some good Mexican food. Taco Bell does not count.

Continued caution is warranted though. The ship next to ours has 7 CoVid-19 cases and are isolated from the base. They are approaching lifting the end of the ROM (restriction of movement). Jared is almost two months being unable to board his ship. Some people who were supposed to DEROS are being held here until June 30 but that could change. It is the military.

The university remains closed but on-line class work continues. I must say this is difficult to do and my concern is for my students. If they have questions they must email them to me. I have been having live classes on Go-To-Meeting and that seems to work well but I have had to work with the school to get an academic license. Otherwise, some find it difficult to pay for it. The most interesting part of this year is graduation. The staff still are working with how to award doctorates in some other way than simply mailing them. It is a great accomplishment and deserves more than only a postage stamp.

At the least, there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel as SOME restrictions begin to be lifted. I look forward to return to normal.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad there's a potential end in sight for you guys, Mei! It's been less than ideal watching things continue...sloooowwwwly. I'm ready for some semblance of normalcy (like everyone else, I'm sure haha).

    ReplyDelete