Pages

Monday, May 11, 2020

Still moving forward

It has been difficult at times trying to live life as normal as possible during this pandemic. Some things are to be expected; others are too much. The difference in behavior between the military and the local government is a sharp contrast in the philosophy of virus control.

On base, we are told to go outside as little as possible and when we do, face masks and social distancing are a must. The military even goes so far as to tell me, a civilian, what I may or may not do while off base and offer punishments for not doing as I am told.

The Japanese, on the other hand, require reasonable precautions to be taken but restaurants, bars, salons and many such places remain open. It is far from normal life but it is not so restrictive as on base is. Also, the government did not say "close or else" but rather they compensated those that did closed. Do not be discovered in one of these businesses that remained open.

I have patronized some of these places but only ones I am able to pick up an order. Just because there is a virus about it does not follow that my husband must be forced to eat only my cooking. Admittedly, he does have a ship's mess he can eat at. I however, do not. It has been tempting but I have been a good girl.

On and off base, people are becoming resentful of the restrictions; more so on base than off since the restrictions are more severe. Still, the locals are becoming very vocal about it. They are showing their frustration over the prolonged requests for people to stay home and businesses to close. Honestly, I do not see their resistance since they are requests rather than orders as we on base must endure. The difference of us is, Japanese people may express their frustrations openly. We may not without consequences.

Bur we move on and do what we must until things return to what was.

No comments:

Post a Comment