Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2019

Another Storm Over

We have survived another storm. As storms go, this one being a super-typhoon, it could have been worse. There was some damage but not much. There was more from our last storm which was not a super-typhoon. We were much better than other places. Ichihara had a tornado that killed one person and did damages. Hachioji, south of us received 37" of rain. It could have been much worse for us.

Knowing you are not in serious danger helps to view the storm as an interesting thing to watch. Chao lei and I simply sat in our living room and watched the storm pass. It was noisy from the wind and we only saw small trash blow by. I only hope that Chao lei does not consider typhoons nothing to fear because of this storm. I tell him we were only fortunate this time. It may not be so during the next one.

The bad thing of rising in command is one becomes "essential personnel" more often. Apparently Jared was needed to watch the ship bounce off of the dock during the storm. I understand it. What if the mooring broke and the ship was free to be blown about the port? There must be someone to blame and an enlisted sailor just will not do. lol I am surprised they did not anchor in Sagami Bay as in the last storm.

The storm has passed and we are back to our "at home" routine. Who knows when we will change to our "underway" routine. The good thing is, our little difficulty that brought us back has caused us to fall from the deployment schedule. This does not mean Jared will not be gone. It only means he will be gone more often but for shorter periods of time.

All that remains is to raise Chao lei, teach my classes and do what I am needed to do for our families. None of us can live this life alone and some of us have more experience living it. It is only right that we share our knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment