Charles decided we required a break from the shore so he acquired a small boat for us to use for Monday and Tuesday. It was not too small though. The three of us could move about easily.
Monday began early. We were at the docks before sunrise. It is fortunate for Chao lei that sunrise comes later than in summer. He was able to sleep longer. He is not so eager as his parents to begin the day. He no longer wishes to tell his father good bye in the mornings if it means he must rise.
We spent the day on the ocean. A first day helps to understand Charles' attraction to the sea. That day was all that was needed for me. At the time we returned to the docks I was satisfied of being on the ocean. It is likely my limit was so quickly reached because of the boat (not a row boat but not a cruise liner). Also, Chao lei was with us and it is unnerving having him on the ocean. What if he fell from the boat? Despite him wearing a life jacket at all times (and despite his constant objection to wearing it) it was difficult to relax.
My husband assures me I would enjoy it better from a ship this size. Perhaps, but since the Navy is likely unwilling to allow us use of such a boat we will never discover the truth of that idea.
Tuesday was much the same as Monday. In a boat. On the ocean. All day. Understand that I enjoy very much being at the ocean. I am not overly fond of being on it. I cannot go for a walk on it. I am trapped in the boat. I suppose I could swim but I am not a swimmer and when your husband takes you from the sight of land it is scary knowing there are creatures larger than you that could eat you and the bottom of the ocean is hundreds of feet below you.
Chao lei did not do well on Tuesday. He got seasick but not immediately. It was only after a few sick hours that he finally threw up. Seeing Charles' reaction leads one to believe that it is a most humiliating thing for a Naval Commander's son to get sea sick. It seems though that Chao lei has not connected his illness to being in the boat
One day on the ocean was mildly enjoyable. The sound of ocean waves calms me but not when they are incessantly slapping the side of a boat. Except fishing, there is little to do.
Would I do it again? There is nothing I would rather do than spend time with my husband and son so perhaps for one day and then not until a few months have passed. Two days is too much.


No comments:
Post a Comment